Friday, March 6, 2020

Cool to be Kind

We've had several neighbors here in our development that relocated from Turkey. I try to introduce myself whenever a new family moves in and then I say hello when I see them outside. That's the relationship that I developed with the Turkish family that lived two doors down from us. I would say hello and smile, I would offer (and be politely refused) several rides home in the rain to their school-aged son, and that was about it.

A few weeks ago I noticed a moving van outside of their house. When I left to get the girls from the bus one of our neighbors was out. We had a brief chat and I learned they were moving to a house just a few minutes away. I said something about what lovely homes were in that area and wished them well.

On Sunday after church our doorbell rang. I opened the door to see this family, the father (with whom most of my interactions took place), the aforementioned son, an older son, and the rarely seen mother. They handed me a gift bag and said that they would miss us as neighbors.


I thanked them for the treat, a box of Turkish baklava, and again wished them well. Then I came inside and read the note. Here's what it said:
Dear neighbor,
Before moving to our new house, it was important to my family to let you know how much we enjoyed having you as neighbors for the last three years. If we were ever a burden, we sincerely apologize. Despite not always speaking the same language, we will always look back on our visits with you with a smile. We hope our new neighbors share your kindness and caring spirit. Please enjoy the Baklava from our home country of Turkey. We wish you nothing but the best for you and your family.
Then they signed it and included their phone number.

I was shocked. All I had done was smile and say hello when we both happened to be outside. I had no idea those small gestures had such a big impact. Perhaps this is cultural. The other Turkish neighbors we've had have also been gracious and generous. But we suspect that maybe not everyone gave them such a friendly reception.


Kindness is important, even when we don't realize it.

Choose to be kind.

2 comments:

Brett M said...

I love this! How wonderful! Back in the day, people knew all their neighbors as a matter of course, but I feel like it requires effort now, with everyone so busy and wrapped up in their own world's. I suspect you were in the minority, making an effort to befriend this family.

Phoebe said...

the baklava was delicious.