Tuesday, December 29, 2009

What Did Santa Bring You for Christmas?

In the few days since Christmas we've had a number of people ask Peter what Santa brought him. He's responded with a blank expression while I quickly mouth behind him, "Santa doesn't come to our house."

Now before you start leaving comments about how I'm stealing away the magic of Christmas from my boys and referencing Miracle on 34th Street, let me explain. We are not trying to deprive them of childhood wonder, but rather, we want them to understand that Christmas is about the Savior, not a jolly man in a red suit.

While our focus is on the birth of Christ, we have certainly introduced the concept of Santa. Bryan's favorite Christmas book is The Polar Express and mine is The Night Before Christmas (followed closely by this Santa Claustrophobia), so Santa is not shunned by any means. We just don't teach that he comes through our non-existent chimney to deliver presents.

Someone asked me last week what Peter wanted for Christmas. I knew the answer to that one. (Thanks Uncle Ian and Aunt Amanda for fulfilling his GeoTrax Christmas wish.) Then they asked what Cooper wanted. I said I honestly didn't know. She looked shocked. I had a moment of realization: most kids write letters to Santa with their holiday requests. We focused so much on what we were giving to other people that I had purposely not asked what they wanted. I had to explain to the person posing the question that we don't do Santa at our house.

People either give us looks of sadness or consternation when we reveal that St. Nick doesn't make a stop at our home.

One evening Peter asked Bryan how Santa was going to get into our house since we don't have a chimney. Peter was visibly concerned. We have never taught him that that's what happens, although we have read plenty of books depicting the event. He spent the next day pretending he was Santa. Cooper and I were his elves. Peter took us on a tour of his workshop, gave us assignments, and put us to work. I think he's going to come through the no-Santa-at-home thing just fine.

But that doesn't solve the dilemma, what do I say when people ask Peter what Santa brought him? How do I prepare him to answer that question himself?

How about this?

"What did Santa bring you?"

"Nothing, but my family sure made it a great Christmas."

4 comments:

Mandi said...

I feel so lucky! We celebrate Christmas the Austrian way. On the 6th of Dec St Nicolas brings fruit, nuts, and candy and leaves them in the shoes left outside(I changed it to the stockings inside since I don't like putting food in shoes that go on feet and they get a little present).

Then on the evening of the 24th The Christchild comes bringing the tree with all it's decorations and LIGHT and all the presents. The kids are in another room playing (or when older go on a walk or something) while we set everything up and then when the bell rings they know that the Christchild has come. It's fun to be able to explain that Christ is the one that brings all good things and the greatest gifts were brought by his birth and life.

I don't know if you are in to introducing a completely different way to look at Christmas but that's how we are going to celebrate it no matter where we live. Then the question of what did Santa bring you is answered easily with the following of what Christ brings! :)

Maybe if you like it then you need to see if you can find any German or Austrian heritage in your family history, or you can just celebrate it another way too! :)

Sarah Kay said...

I think you can keep Christ in Christmas without taking away Santa - but that's my personal opinion.

In our home we set up the nativity, but Jesus doesn't arrive until Christmas morning. And then, the first thing we do is look at the nativity - before opening presents.

Santa or not, presents are a distracting part of Christmas --- so I really don't see the focus changing all that much unless you take the presents away completely, which would be reason for your children to visit a therapist at a later date - just kidding.

So we *Believe*. And even when we know that our parents are the ones who purchase the gifts, we still believe. Because it is magical. And Mandi might be on to something here - because the Easter Bunny comes on Saturday at our house for similar reasons - to separate the two holiday concepts.

And put a big, red key under the door mat (one that may not open the door -but will for santa). Be sure to leave out sugar-free cookies and milk. Childhood is too short for long explanations about why Santa doesn't visit.

My life in a blog said...

I'm so with you on this one! This year Stuart actually told our 2 year old that Santa doesn't exist. We're going to be hated by everyone when our children spoil it for others! Still not sure how in depth we'll ever go with the whole Santa thing, but he didn't come to our house either...

Holly said...

I'm still undecided. As it is, we just don't really emphasize Santa. We probably need to figure out for next year. So far it hasn't been an issue. I like the ideas others posted here.