Monday, November 21, 2011

Let's Go Riding in an Automobile

A few weeks ago our four-cylinder car decided it wanted to be a three-cylinder car. Too bad for the car, and for us, that that's not possible. Bryan had a tense drive to the auto shop, wondering if the car would make it the whole distance or if he would need to be towed.

He made it.

Our mechanic looked at our thirteen-year-old car that we've had for ten years and gave us his appraisal. We needed a new engine, a new horn, a new airbag (because of the new horn). In short, we needed a new car. The repairs would have cost us more than the car was worth, so we decided the time had come to move on and get a new car.

We spent the next week looking at used car ads in the classifieds. With Bryan in school our budget for a car was practically non-existent. We examined the possibility of being a one-car family and having Bryan ride the bus to and from campus. That option was surprisingly expensive. We prayed that we would find something safe and in our price-range.

I didn't mention our need to my family.

A week after the car died I woke-up and got ready to haul the whole crew down to drop Bryan off at school. I looked at my phone and was surprised to see that I had a missed call and a voice mail from my Grandma. Her message contained these words, "Are you in need of a car?"

Tears sprang to my eyes. Yes, we did need a car! I handed the phone to Bryan and had him listen to the message. She called again while he was listening and she explained.

She had bought a new car a few weeks before and had planned to sell her old one. Her buyer fell through and she offered it to my sister. After some deliberation, my sister decided that she didn't need it. Frustrated, my Grandma called my mom, wondering what she should do with her superfluous car. My mom knew that our car had been having trouble for a while so she suggested that might be able to use it.

With emotion in my voice I told her that she and my Mom were inspired. I said that we had been praying for a way to get Bryan to and from school. She was answering that prayer.

Plans to get the car fell rapidly into place. Bryan found an inexpensive plane ticket and the next day touched down in California. By Sunday night he was back with the 2000 Toyota Corolla. We are now not just a two car family, we are also a two Toyota family.


I am thankful for a functional vehicle and family that listens to the Holy Ghost.

4 comments:

Marc R. said...

If I recall correctly. You have two grandmother cars--from different grandmothers.

Margot said...

That is true. We've been blessed with cars from grandparents.

Beth said...

That is a neat story -- so glad it all worked out for you guys! Congrats on being a two-Toyota family!

Emily said...

What a great story. :) I've got warm fuzzies now.