Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Mama's Girl

Phoebe has been waking up in the middle of the night for the last month or so. We're not sure what's causing her to wake, but she's pretty consistent about it. There have been a handful of nights that she's slept through, but sleeping has been the exception and not the rule.

She woke up tonight just as I was folding the last of the laundry. Her cry had moved from, "I woke up and I'm grumpy and disoriented" to "COME IN NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW." When she reaches that second level of intensity, she's not going back to sleep.

I picked her up, got her a drink of water, and snuggled with her for thirty minutes. When she was asleep I put her back into her bed. And she was awake again. I figured I'd done my part to help her get back to sleep. Now it was her turn.

Bryan heard her cries and, like a good dad, went to rescue his baby girl. He came out holding her and reported that she was thirsty. I bid them both a good night and said that I would come in once I was done writing this post.

As soon as Bryan turned to go back into the bedroom, Phoebe let out a heart-wrenching wail. Bryan comforted her as best he could. "I know. I know Phoebe. You love Mommy, don't you?" Phoebe nodded as she continued to sob.

In spite of the tears it generates, it's nice to be someone's favorite.

No comments: