Throughout the whole first year of the MBA Bryan has been working to get a summer internship. He's been on interviews and fly-backs and heard several noes. He's watched as his classmates received and accepted offers. We kept hearing stories from last year about guys that didn't get internships until June.
Bryan did not want to be that guy.
After all his work, he was still without an internship when he went to China. I kept his phone to deliver messages via email in case an offer came in while he was out of the country. Nothing. On the last night of his trip he and some of his classmates went through the Hong Kong Temple. Bryan spent his time there focused and prayerful about the problem of finding a job for the summer.
The next day he got an offer.
We were happy to finally have something. But after he and I both prayed, it didn't feel quite right. This was frustrating for me because I wanted to be done worrying and know what our plans for the next three months would be. I've learned, however, that if the choice is not right, it doesn't matter how much I want and wish. He decided to fast about it.
And then another offer came in.
This one felt much better to both of us. That left one more outstanding company. After more prayer, he decided to remove his name from the pool of candidates. Only, the woman that he called didn't get the message.
And she called with his third offer.
After so long waiting and wondering if he would get anything, he suddenly had three options. It was both mind-boggling and miraculous. Two of the offers would have kept us close to home, allowing us to remain in the area. The third would have taken us far away, to a place that none of us have ever been before. But it also would provide fantastic educational opportunities for Bryan.
And that is why we'll be packing most of our possessions into storage and moving two weeks from today.
To Wisconsin.
Any of you lovely readers have any connections in or knowledge about Wisconsin you could share with me?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Congrats!!! My husband is from northern Wisconsin and we lived in Madison for four years. We should chat sometime. :)
Darn! I was hoping you were going to say you are moving to Ohio! I don't have any experience with Wisconsin but I'm sure it'll be a great adventure for you guys. I wish you luck!
Where in Wisconsin? I have some friends in my writing group who live there right now.
Emily, we should chat!
Thanks Andrea. At least we'll be closer to your part of the world.
Bryce, we're going to the Fox Cities area of Appleton and Neenah. And since we don't have a place to live yet, that's all I know at the moment. Where do your writing cohorts live?
In La Crosse, about three and a half hours west of where you'll be. So . . . not that close. :-)
So exciting! We lived a few hours away in St Paul/Minneapolis area. You should take a jaunt over there one weekend. And, maybe visit Chicago (Shee-cah-go)!
I've been to Wisconsin!! But just for a day trip to Milwaukee, since it's not far from Chicago. But I really enjoyed that day trip! :-) But it looks like you won't be far from Chicago, either, so you will have to visit -- there is so much to see there (and besides, I think Chicago will be your temple -- you'll have to try to visit!) Eat a slice of Giardano's pizza for me. :-)
I loved our internship summer in the Midwest back in 2005. There were so many festivals going on, the weather was decent (it's humid, but not hot), and fun, new things to see. It was like a long vacation, almost -- I'm sure it will be a fun adventure for you and your family! Congratulations!
Post a Comment