The kids were thrilled when I informed them we would be swimming, until Phoebe came and told me that she didn't "know how to swim, only how to splash." I assured her that she would hang out with me and be just fine.
This morning before we left I made sure that we were all slathered up with sunscreen. Peter, with pale skin like mine, was a good sport. Cooper was exceedingly wiggly. I honestly had no idea how ticklish he is until today. Still, we were covered. Bryan missed out, but he mostly stayed in the shade and acted as lifeguard from the deck.
We swam for about two hours. Peter did a pretty good job of faux swimming. Cooper borrowed an inner tube and paddled his way around the pool. I spent the whole time holding onto Phoebe and pulling her around the pool. She loved it; I'm feeling aftermath of the workout in my legs and arms now.
Speaking of feeling things later, it wasn't until we were getting the kids into pajamas at bedtime that we discovered the real damage. Despite that sunscreen, they were all burnt, even Cooper who tans like Bryan. Phoebe had the lightest sunkiss on her shoulders, the boys arms and shoulders were a darker shade. They didn't appear to be in pain, but I still felt bad that they were burnt. I should have applied a second layer, but I didn't.
Oh, and I'm a little burnt too. But we all expected that, didn't we?
No comments:
Post a Comment