Thursday, November 20, 2014

In Which I Brag About My Second Born

I met with Cooper's teacher yesterday for his first Parent/Teacher conference of the year. Cooper has been having a rough time at home, lots of naughty words and mean actions. I've been concerned about how he might be acting out at school.

Good news: he saves the poor choices for home. His teacher says that he's a normal first-grade boy. That means he's mostly good with a little bit of roughhousing thrown in for good measure. She said it was nothing she couldn't handle and certainly nothing she was concerned about.

I had also been worried that Cooper was falling between the cracks in his class. He's missed some school because of illness and when I asked him what his teacher said about his absences, he said, "Nothing." And when I asked what she thought of his missing two front teeth, he again said, "Nothing."

His teacher not only knew Cooper, but she had noticed some of his more subtle behaviors. She said she was impressed with how smart he is. I smiled when she said that, because it's true, Cooper is smart. She commented on his "magnificent" reading and comprehension skills. She told me that he is meticulous in his work, to the degree that he doesn't like to be rushed and sometimes has to go back to finish his work to get it the way he wants it. She also said he has no sense of urgency. Yep, that's also true. Well, he has one when food is involved, but not much else.

She was a little worried that he never volunteers or raises his hand to answer questions. When she calls on him he gives great answers, but he doesn't offer them of his own volition.

She told me that he thinks at a higher level than the other kids in the class and might be a little bored. She's going to recommend him for the Gifted and Talented program, which will only consist of four or five first-graders. I told her I thought that was a wonderful plan.

Being sandwiched between his extremely loud and attention grabbing siblings is sometimes a challenge for him, though I don't think he would articulate it that way. It makes my heart happy to see Cooper recognized in such a positive way, and that he has a teacher who sees his talents in spite of his quiet demeanor. That's right, at school Cooper is quiet.