Friday, March 23, 2018

Proud Proprietors of the Extended Stay Hotel

After spending February and much of March with us, my Grandma Bonnie is heading home tomorrow.

My parents flew out last week to visit and to fly back home with her. Their original flight was supposed to leave on Tuesday morning. We had a special Family Home Evening recital for the kids to play the piano and sing for them the night before the departure.

Then, at nearly eleven o'clock that night, my parents walked into the kitchen where I was having a snack before climbing into bed. They told me that the flight had been canceled due to the impending storm and was rescheduled for early Thursday morning. After some discussion, Bryan said he'd drive them to the airport the day of the flight so they could return the rental car.

So on Tuesday morning we adventured to the airport an hour and a half away. They returned the car and Sophie and I picked them up and came home, with a detour to Ikea thrown in for fun. We had a few flakes that day and prepared for the big snow the next day.

I am happy to report that my parents were able to experience their first snow days. And bonus: the power stayed on!

Then word came that the Thursday flight would actually happen on Saturday morning. We haven't heard anything to the contrary so far, and it's not snowing, so I assume this flight is moving forward.

We have loved having these extra days with them. I know they're anxious to get back to their responsibilities, but we will miss having them here. Tonight at bedtime Sophie told Grandma Bonnie that she didn't want her to go home. I know the feeling.

2 comments:

Shari said...

I'm so happy you were able to have that precious time with your grandma. We all love her so. I'm sure Sophie will truly miss her. It's wonderful your parents were able to visit too. Grandma's (and grandpa's) and "Grandma Greats" are the best!

Crystal said...

We loved our stay at Hotel Belnap where Sophie was always willing to check us in. After playing her game, I informed her I worked there because I had carried things upstairs. She then proceeded to pay me for my time, and then give me more assignments. Sophie likes being in charge. It was very funny.
=0)