Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Wunderkind

This morning, as Sophie was running out of steam to finish her schoolwork, I told her it was only ten minutes until lunch, and I thought she could finish her last task by then. I didn't realize that Topher had heard me until I turned around and saw him setting clementines on the table, ready to eat. 

He's moving out of using a highchair, which means meals require pretty tight supervision, and I wasn't quite ready to provide that. So I reminded him that we needed to pick up the blocks first, then we could eat. I turned my attention back to Sophie and the instructions in her Social Studies book. A minute later I looked up, surprised to see Topher finish putting the blocks in their boxes.

I praised the good work he had done as I slid the boxes into their cubbies, then walked into the kitchen. That's when I saw my two-year-old place three plates on the table, a tiny orange on each one, and heard him say, "For Topher, for Sophie, for Mommy," as he laid each place setting out.

I've said it before, but I'm pretty sure he's a genius.



2 comments:

Papa Ron said...

Innate genius, yes, but don’t discount the environment where learning and doing are encouraged. Mom’s example, and his precocious siblings, help. He is a wondrous boy.

Crystal said...

I impressed that he didn't argue about putting his blocks away. Topher is a very thoughtful boy!
=0)