Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Awkward

Tonight I attended an outdoor Young Women activity (I'm the advisor for the younger class). As I awkwardly tried to participate from the periphery, they painted pumpkins and generally behaved as if there was not a global pandemic currently going on, mine the only mask in sight. Did I mention it was awkward?

When the painting was finished, they all gathered around a fire pit and talked. Some of the Young Women started complaining about how their backs and knees were so tired and sore. One of them said, "I know! Technically I'm 17, but my knees are old, like 40 or something!"

And that's when I called out from my socially distant spot on the darkened lawn, "Yay 40!"

It was awkward.


1 comment:

Beth said...

I'm sorry this is happening where you are too. I had hoped it was maybe just a Utah thing; we are getting a lot of bad press over our anti-maskers. But even people who generally believe in wearing masks never wear them outside, even if they are not distanced from people. We (mostly Nathan) had to get really bold with our bishop about the lack of masks at priests quorum activities, sending him a very direct email. Thankfully he responded so graciously and the next activity was a total turn-around, with 100% mask wearing even though it was outdoors. But gosh, it took so much courage to send that email! We went back and forth about it for weeks, wondering if we should say something. Everything in 2020 feels like a fight that we're fighting alone and I've shed lots of tears over it.

Also, 40 is not old??? LOL