Monday, July 3, 2023

Walk, Don't Jump

Tonight, as we were getting ready for bedtime, Topher decided to jump from the third stair into Sophie's open arms. She wasn't able to catch him and he fell. His neck landed hard on the edge of the bottom step. Topher is normally the kid that jumps up and announces "I'm fine!" after a fall. He did not do that this time. He started screaming instead.

I was there as it happened, I said, "Don't!" as he started to jump. But I wasn't close enough to catch him. As soon as he hit the step I rushed to him with two conflicting thoughts: don't move a spinal injury and you can't leave him on the stair. I gently scooped him up and yelled for ice. Bryan came running and took Topher to lay him on the ground. As I handed him to Bryan, Topher's head lolled as far back as it would go and he went limp as a rag doll and his eyes rolled up into his head. Bryan called his name several times and his eyes came back into focus.

Bryan told me to call 911 as he made sure Topher stayed still on the ground. All those cub scout first aid lessons I taught came back to me because I remembered to start with our location, gave Topher's name and age, then described what had happened. I gathered my purse and shoes while I talked to the 911 operator, thankful for enough presence of mind to know I would go with him when the ambulance arrived. Bryan gave Phoebe the job of holding the door open to wait for the ambulance, sent Sophie to her room to remove her from what was happening, then told Cooper to follow her and make sure she was okay. Peter happened to be at a movie with friends and wasn't home. Topher started to lose consciousness an additional two times while we waited for the ambulance.

The EMTs arrived within a few minutes and put a brace around Topher's neck, then carefully put a board underneath him. They asked him questions and had him wiggle his fingers and toes. He could do all of that and he said his neck and back hurt. They carried the board with Topher on it outside to a waiting gurney. Phoebe, from her post at the door, took this picture.

Topher was so scared during the ride to the ER. He had to be strapped to the board, then strapped again to the gurney. I told him a story about a boy named Topher, then I started listing family members that had taken rides in ambulances, all in an attempt to distract him. During that fifteen minute ride my phone was dinging again and again and again. I assumed it was Bryan letting the family know what was happening. There was some of that, but most of it was because of Phoebe. While she had been holding the door for the EMTs, she had also been texting people in our ward. She texted her two best friends, one of her Young Women leaders, my ministering sister, and the Bishops wife, asking all of them to pray for Topher.

I found out later that as soon as the police officer that had accompanied the EMTs left, there was an urgent knock at the front door. Bryan opened it and was surprised to find the Bishop and his wife, Kim. They said they were there to help. I suspect Bryan was in shock (I know I was) and he couldn't think of anything they could do. Kim looked at Bryan and kindly but firmly said, "You need to go be with Topher and Margot. I'll take your other kids to my house, Aaron will go with you to the hospital." By this point my ministering sister, Robyn, and her husband, Scott, had arrived to offer more help. Scott followed Bryan and the Bishop to the hospital so they could leave Bryan there with our van.

I had no idea any of this was happening, just that I kept getting texts about prayers for Topher from my friends and family members. I was confused how so many people knew, but also in such a state of shock that I couldn't really respond or wonder too much about it. I was focused on Topher. The hospital where he was born had converted the maternity ward into a children's hospital. He was taken to that brand new children's ER. He continued to move his fingers and toes, but now instead of pain in his neck and back, he said he just couldn't feel them. He was moved into an ER bed and the nurses began monitoring his vitals. The neck brace remained in place.


By this time I had looked at some of the text messages. I knew that Bryan was on his way. He was able to come back first, but the other two were told we couldn't have that many people back at the same time. I knew Topher needed a blessing, so I was willing to give up my spot to one of the other two. Bryan felt strongly that I needed to stay in case a doctor came in, since I'd witnessed the fall. Bryan gave him a quick and simple blessing by himself. After waiting for a little longer, Bryan went and asked the nurse that had been helping Topher. She said everyone could come back, she was fine with that. Topher then received a second blessing when they arrived. Scott anointed and the Bishop sealed the anointing and was voice for the blessing.

They stayed and visited for a bit, making sure we were okay. Our Bishop is a surgeon and it was comforting having his medical perspective on the situation. Then they left to get Peter from his movie and take him to where our other kids were.

By this point a doctor had finally come in to check Topher. She did a number of physical tests, then had another doctor come in and give a second opinion. They checked him for spinal injuries and signs of a concussion, prescribed pain medication, then an EKG to monitor Topher's heart. They also removed the brace. Topher answered most of their questions with a shrug or a whispered "I don't know," which was out of character. He watched The Disney channel while he waited. Bryan and I mostly watched Topher.

After the neck brace was removed and the pain medication was administered, Topher was much more his regular wiggly self. He was getting restless and was able to lift his neck up to shift positions. The doctors finally came back in and did a few more exams. These included having Topher stand and jump. They determined that the pain from the fall had triggered a vasovagal syncope which is what was happening when he appeared to be losing consciousness, and that he was well enough to go home, but with the caveat that we watch for a list of behaviors and symptoms over the next day to make sure he really is okay. I asked if we had overreacted by calling 911. The ER doctor was adamant that we had done exactly the right thing. 

It was after 10 o'clock when he was discharged and after 10:30 when we picked up the other kids. Topher fell asleep in the car and stayed asleep while he was transferred to his bed. When he was discharged I offered to carry him to the van since, in our haste, we had not brought shoes for him. The doctor had mentioned that there was no bump of any kind on his neck. When I went to pick him up, I saw that there wasn't even discoloration. I was perplexed for a moment as to how that could be. Then I remembered all the people that had been praying for Topher. I believe that all those prayers were answered and that our very active boy left the ER without a visible mark.

Words cannot adequately express how thankful I am that he is home and well.

2 comments:

Marc R. said...

Thanks for catching us up to date. We are also grateful Topher is doing well. We will continue to pray for him and you.

Beth said...

Ohhhhh wow. That sounds so scary. But kudos to your level-headed kids and your ward family for coming through for you - I'm so glad he's doing all right!!