Thursday, December 21, 2023

Sing We All Noel

The busiest part of our weekend happened on Sunday night. Or rather, the part of the weekend that required the most work was on Sunday night. We had our annual interfaith concert. We hosted last year and I was essentially responsible for organizing it. (I realized that I never wrote about it, probably because I was exhausted and overwhelmed and then we had Christmas and COVID and it fell by the wayside.) 

This year we were simply participants. In some ways this was more stressful. I like to plan ahead and have details like date and location figured out early on. Due to some personnel changes at the church that hosted, we didn't have a firm date or location announced until a few weeks before the event took place. There was even some question as to whether or not the concert would happen. Thankfully, it all came together.

There were four music groups that participated: our ward choir, the children's choir that I co-run, a trio from a local Greek Orthodox church, and the Lutheran church that hosted the event. We were the opening act. The hosting music director was new this year and I don't think he expected our choir to be so big. We had thirty singers there on Sunday night, a wonderful group representing our relatively small congregation. Our run through beforehand had been great. But our first number for the actual performance was kind of a mess. The acoustics in the room made it difficult for the pianist and the singers to hear each other. We recovered and our next two songs were much better.

I went from leading the first group to turning the pianist's pages for the second group. Being the page turner is actually more stressful for me than conducting! If I mess up as the conductor I can get back on track pretty quickly. But if I mess up as the page turner everything falls apart. I very nearly had a stumble, but at the last second I discovered I was holding two sheets of paper between my fingers instead of one and flicked them apart, so no harm was done. The kids did a great job.

Because the concert was broadcast on the church's Facebook page, I didn't have anyone record it. I wish I had. The audio on the stream was kind of garbled and doesn't represent how the choir actually sounded. Thankfully Bryan recorded the kids' choir at least. He was singing with the ward choir, otherwise I'm sure he would have recorded that as well.

After all the hard work of getting ready, now I'm kind of sad that we won't be singing those Christmas songs again. Well, we'll sing one of them this coming Sunday, but two of them were only for the concert. Bryan and I are in the process of figuring out how to get a good recording once all the choir members are back from their Christmas vacations.

And I didn't take any pictures that night. Thankfully, my friend took a very important one and sent it to me. The Friday before the concert I sent an invitation into school with Topher and invited his kindergarten teacher. She was also Sophie's kindergarten teacher and another girl in Topher's class sings with the kids' choir, so this teacher had three students performing. And she came! She's really one of the best teachers my children have had and we're so thankful that Topher is in her class. She was so sweet and effusive with her praise of the kids. The next day at school she invited Topher and his friend to talk to the class about the concert they had sung in the night before.

No comments: