Wednesday night I got a Winter Storm Warning alert on my phone. It's only snowed once since we've been here, and there wasn't much of the white stuff. I didn't worry a great deal.
Thursday morning I had another warning pop-up on my phone and I realized it would be snowing during our drive to and from Kung Fu. I don't love that drive in good weather, so I started debating if we would go or not.
Then, as I dropped the boys off at school, I got a call telling me that Kung Fu would be canceled for that night. Excellent, they made the choice for me. Less than an hour after getting home from the morning drop off, I got a call telling me that school would be letting out three hours early and that all evening activities in the district were canceled.
And then I got an email from Phoebe's dance studio telling me that all classes were canceled for the day.
It felt like the whole town was shutting down.
Bryan called and told me he would watch the weather and the traffic and might come home early. He did, as did many of his co-workers.
Why the huge reaction to the estimated four to eight inches of snow? In Utah life would continue uninterrupted with that much snowfall. Snowplows really do make a difference. So does having a driving population that knows how to handle snowy conditions. The lack of both make travel treacherous here. Bryan said he saw fifteen or twenty people that had slid off the road during his drive home and at least two accidents.
I wasn't surprised when school was cancelled for today as well.
This is what our backyard looked like today. See that wide span of largely untouched snow on the other side of the fence? There's a road under that. According to Bryan (who braved the roads to go to Costco and Walmart, both of which are two minutes from our house), all of the roads looked like that.
I was content to stay in our warm house, out of the cold.

No comments:
Post a Comment