Friday, June 6, 2014

A New Destination

Last night Sophie and I ventured out and went to a Relief Society activity. I'm always in need of socialization, but the real draw for me was that a few of the teachers would be talking about local summer activities to do with kids. I've been trying to put together a list of sights to see and events to attend this summer, so the information was helpful.

The reason I'm creating a "bucket list" of sorts is that our time in the Pacific Northwest is drawing to a close. At the end of July (or thereabouts) we will pull up roots again and head east. Really, really far east. So far, in fact, that we're trading the Pacific Ocean for the Atlantic.

Our home for the next year will be in Northern New Jersey!

We're excited at the prospect of being so close to two of my brothers (who will be a measely four hours away in Maryland) and to be near all the history that New England holds. And, as daunting as the endeavor sounds, I'm thrilled to get to take the kids to see the Statue of Liberty and Central Park. And Broadway. I'm really excited about taking them to Broadway.

Do any of you wonderful readers have suggestions for fun stuff to do in the Portland/Vancouver area? What about Seattle? We want to plan out our time and use it well.

Also, any recommendations for places to live in Northern New Jersey? Or places not to live? Or must-haves for living in such a humid and snowy place?

4 comments:

Marc R. said...

Have you been to the Tlllamook cheese factory? I remember visiting there as a boy.

Tricia said...

If you need a place to crash on your journey out, I'm in Cincinnati, OH! (This is Tricia Harris Evanson, by the way, in case it doesn't show when I post and you think a creepy stranger posted this. My email is triciaheather at gmail.com, if that would be helpful.

The Lybbert Family said...

Do a hike in the columbia river gorge. I love Eagle Creek, and Multnomah falls is also always a winner. Climb Beacon rock. Visit the beach on a sunny day. Take a walk on the waterfront and visit Mt St. Helens.

You may have done some of these, but they are all fun.

Alisha said...

In Portland, I'd suggest OMSI and Powell's Books. In the Gorge, Multnomah Falls (and there are lots of other falls along the Gorge; just Google). Lake Vancouver is pretty and affords a perfect view of 3 mountains in a row: St. Helens, Adams and Hood.