Thursday, June 26, 2014

Six Moons

Our sweet Sophie is six months old! We celebrated the momentous occasion by dressing her in this adorable outfit that my friend made for her. She also got to try solid food for the first time. She's a fan. The viscosity is throwing her off a little, but she'll get the hang of it.


Thanks to my brother-in-law Dallin for filming the first feeding. Sophie likes the food almost as much as she likes the spoon.



The last six months have simultaneously flown by and lasted forever. Sophie is a fun six-month-old. She's interactive and giggly and loves all of her siblings. And they all love her. She sleeps better than I do. I thought babies that slept were the stuff of tall tales, but I have one of these mythical creatures at my house. I'm certain her ability to sleep (and put herself to sleep when drowsy!) is what has kept me sane.

Sophie loves to play games. Ever since she was tiny she and Bryan have played a game where she sticks out her tongue like a lizard testing the air, then he mimics her. They take turns and are both delighted by it. Her newest game involves kisses. I hold her up to my cheek and say, "Kisses?" and she leans in and plants a slobbery baby smooch on my face. Then I pull her back and grin at her and say, "Yay!" in an exited voice. And then she giggles and smiles, which is of course why I play the game.

Sophie is still tall. She is 71% for height, and only 82% for head circumference, which means she has the smallest head of all my kids. Maybe she'll be able to find helmets that both fit and are made for her age range when she gets older?

People don't ask about her birthmark much anymore, except to tell me about someone they knew that had one that faded on its own. I assume that once we move and meet new people we'll get more comments on it. One thing that continues to garner remarks is her hair. No one expects a baby to have hair that touches her back. It's still wispy, but it sure is long in some places.

She can roll from her back to her front and from her front to her back, though she doesn't do either very often. She's usually content to play where she is and only occasionally has the need to roll.

She has a natural sweetness and calmness about her that we need in our house. She is observant and alert and is happy to be held by anyone as long as she's not hungry. When she is hungry, she nuzzles into my shoulder and neck. That's her way of saying, "I need some food."

I sure love this sweet girl.

1 comment:

Beth said...

It makes me happy to read that not only do you have another smart baby, but you got a good sleeper this time! I felt that way with my third. My fourth is not really difficult, just average, but to do it with three other kids was stinking hard. So I'm glad you are having a good experience with this fourth baby; from what I remember of the other kids' sleeping habits in your posts, you definitely deserve a GREAT sleeper!