I hear other moms talking about sweet moments with their kids; one said something funny or did something silly. I see pictures on blogs of joyous family outings, smiles captured mid-adventure. And then I look at our family. I hear the kids arguing and complaining and speaking unkindly. It's hard to catch those sweet moments amid the chaotic and contentious norm.
Last Thursday night we had Pack Meeting. I mentioned it in my post about no one sleeping. We had eaten dinner early but had still gotten out the door later than we wanted. Somehow, though, we arrived early. We parked and Peter held the door open for all of us. The lights hadn't been turned on yet so we walked down the dark hallway toward the Relief Society room.
I was walking next to Bryan, holding Sophie in my arms. Silhouetted in the light coming from an open room ahead of us, Phoebe, Peter, and Cooper led the way. And then it happened. I was flooded with an overwhelming feeling of love for these five people. It took me by surprise and I tried to etch the image and the feeling into my brain. I took in a long breath and squeezed Sophie a little tighter. And then we reached the room at the end of the hall and that golden moment was over.
We have the normal chaos and stress of regular life. But I now have a beautiful picture in my head of my children walking in front of me in a dark hallway, and the lovely feeling that comes with it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
A sweet tender mercy moment. Along with that I Love this thought by Pres Hinckley that helps me stay grounded!
“Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he’s been robbed. The fact is that most putts don’t drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to just be people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is like an old time rail journey…delays…sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling burst of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley
Thank heaven for such moments! And would you trade the chaos and the yelling (leavened with moments like this one) for the alternative: loneliness and envy?
This is a "Happy Place" you can go to when the chaos is too much.
=0)
I read this post earlier today and I've been thinking about it. I'm so glad you had that moment of contentment. I love it when that happens. But it doesn't happen often. Having a blog is one of the things that really helps me to see the humor and the positive in the things that happen in our family, largely because I know that my perspective is unique being the Mom. Friends and grandparents see things differently, and as much as I'd like to think that the blog is for us, I know that it's also for them... Thank goodness there are little tricks like these we can teach ourselves to make it through the chaos and the drudgery.
The quote your friend Shari shared is actually by Jenkins Lloyd Jones. Pres. Hinckley quoted him. :)
Post a Comment