For the most part, I am not a lazy mom. Notice how I started that with "for the most part"? I've come to the realization that I am kind of lazy about one thing:
I really don't want to potty train Peter yet.
The fact that he is still in diapers makes my life much easier in so many ways. I can nurse Cooper without having to jump up and rush Peter to the bathroom. We can go shopping without leaving our loot unattended. I don't have to clean up any accidents. Yes, I do have to change diapers, but they don't really bother me. Plus those messes stay pretty well contained.
But I keep hearing about all these little boys that are younger than Peter and have successfully finished wearing diapers. If they were little girls I wouldn't be concerned. After all, don't boys have a reputation for taking longer to hit this particular milestone? But they're not girls, they're boys.
Peter has been telling me since April that he wanted to stop wearing diapers. Lest you think I've put him off for six months, know that I have tried. Kind of. We went out and bought a special little toilet, pull-ups, awesome Lighting McQueen big boy underwear as an incentive. But none of it seemed to make much of a difference. I think that his mind was ready, but the rest of him was not. He's spent lots of time trying, with some success, but not much.
And so, the underwear remains unworn, the pull-ups have been used when we've run out of diapers, and I saw Peter carrying around the inside of his little toilet today as a handy tote for his sippy cup. It was clean, but still gross.
I've begun to wonder, is he not potty trained because he's not ready, or because I'm not ready? It is with this thought in mind that I've been toying with the idea of potty training him this weekend. It's General Conference, so we don't have to go to church on Sunday. We can stay at home and follow Peter around with towels.
And if it doesn't work this weekend, I think I may be content to wait until the next General Conference.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
so I don't have heaps of experience with this....i've just potty trained 2 of 3 so far....but this has been my observation: Every kid is TOTALLY DIFFERENT. Brady took 4 days to figure it out...Carson took 5 months. For Brady it was all about getting treats...for Carson it was all about control. So give it a try, and if it's not working for him (or you) try later. Or try for 5 months like I did with Carson. He won every time.
I can identify with this post. I feel like it was partially my "laziness" that had Logan in diapers for so long -- but seriously, who wants to potty-train a kid when you have to pay $2 to wash and dry your laundry two stories down in the apartment building basement? :-P I waited until circumstances were better: we moved to a place with a washer/dryer, little brother was more independent didn't need to be nursed constantly (definitely understand that concern), and Logan had the readiness and determination to succeed. So. In this way, it's not really laziness: it's recognizing your limitations and not putting more on your plate than you can handle. That's *wise*, not lazy.
(For the record: Logan was 3.5 when we started this last time. I am pretty sure Peter is quite a bit younger. There is a huge range for this milestone, I've found.)
Anyway -- good luck this weekend! If it's not working, try again later -- and whether that's the next day (I did that at the beginning -- a "three-strikes-you're-out" rule to save my sanity) or in a few months, he'll get there.
I know buying diapers is expensive, but I agree - what a pain to potty train right now with a little baby. NO THANKS!
good luck...
with the potty and the mice :)
Post a Comment