Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Good Eats

I'm a sucker a for recipes. Cookbooks, cooking shows, recipe emails, I love them all. Part of it is that I need to come up with dinner every night. The other part is that I discovered recently that I like to cook. Those of you that have eaten my food (mostly any former roommates that had to suffer through experimental noodle dishes) may be surprised by this. I'm still at the stage where I need to use a recipe. I can't just taste a dish and know what it's missing. Bryan can do this. It's kind of intimidating cooking for such a natural.

The Food Network is one of two channels that Peter knows. (The other is PBS.) There were a few times when Cooper was new that I needed to feed him and sit still and not worry about Peter destroying things. My solution? Yeah, we'd watch 20 minutes of the Food Network. Peter often conducts his own cooking show in his room. Anyway, I dig the Food Network.


That brings me to my favorite cooking show. Good Eats. It appeals to my desire for comedy and entertainment and Bryan's penchant for science. And we both like food. Alton Brown brings the funny while explaining the chemistry and the history behind whatever food he's focusing on for the day. For instance, we learned that my least favorite food, lentils, is a nutritional wunderkind, and that Bryan's least favorite food, eggplant, has almost no nutritional value whatsoever. Which is probably part of why Bryan likes the show so much.

It happens to be on while we're waiting for Cooper to go to sleep. Which is why I'm writing a whole post about it. And also because it's awesome.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

I knew lentils were good for you. Maybe you can learn to use them in stew or soup. Maybe if you don't have to look at them they will be edible.

Patrick, Adrienne, Isabella, & Makenzie said...

i love alton brown and good eats. and the food network. but i dont like giada. but i do like iron chef america. but i love alton brown.