Wednesday, April 20, 2011

On The Mend

The last two days have gone well.

Surprisingly well.

What am I talking about? Peter didn't have any major-tantrums. Cooper took a nap. We made it through a trip to Costco without me vowing to never shop with children again. Phoebe had two naps, each day. We all did our chores.

More than all those wonderful things though was the way I felt. I was much less stressed out. I could have started Tuesday morning by freaking out when the boys woke up almost an hour too early or when Cooper (in an attempt to help with breakfast) poured a nearly full box of Cheerios all over the kitchen floor. But I didn't. I was sad about the cereal, but I told him not to worry about it and sent him to the table while I swept.

Bryan and I have been talking a lot lately about what we can do to help Peter. We recognize that Peter's propensity toward freaking out probably comes from us. We tend to be a bit, er, high strung. So, a huge effort has been put forth to stem the over-reacting on our parts. I wonder if we've begun to see the fruits of that change?

Also, I've been putting your wonderful comments on my early bird post into action. I took Camille's suggestion about going to bed at a set time each night, whether or not my to-do list is done. At least, that's how I'm implementing what she said. The result is that I've been getting to bed almost two hours earlier each night. (I also haven't been able to post before going to sleep, hence two late-in-the-day posts in a row.) I knew I was tired, but I hadn't realized how soul-crushingly exhausted I really was. I had almost forgotten what it felt like to have energy.

I feel like these are pieces to a bigger puzzle. Sleeping, not over-reacting, focusing on what I need to learn from each of my children instead of wondering what awful thing I did to deserve such naughtiness, each part adds to a happier home, a happier Peter, and a happier family.

I wonder what puzzle piece we'll discover next?

1 comment:

Emily said...

Glad things are going better!! :)