Thursday, April 21, 2011

Party Planner

Peter went to his friend's birthday party two weeks ago. It's the second birthday party (and second Pirate-themed party) he's been to this month. He now has birthday parties on the brain. In fact, he's been campaigning for a party of his own.

Peter has never had a birthday party, but with good reason. He understands that his birthday is not well placed for inviting friends to a party. That Christmas break is kind of a no-man's land. So, he suggested having a half-birthday party.

I have to say that I think that's pretty darn clever. It would give him his much sought after party. But would throwing a half-birthday party for your five-year-old (or five-and-a-half-year-old) just seem like a way to con people into giving you stuff? Honestly, we don't want the stuff. We have lots of stuff. We'd like to get rid of most of our stuff. But giving Peter the experience of having a birthday party, well, that does sound nice.

I need opinions on this. What do you think? Yes to the half-birthday party? No and try to work out an early-January party on his next birthday to make it up to him? Does it even matter when you're five?

6 comments:

Camille Farias said...

Well, personally I think that throwing him a party wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't do it at his half birthday, though. I would shoot for a few weeks before or after his real birthday if you really are worried about people being gone around the time of his actual birthday, fwiw.

The Lybbert Family said...

You could throw him a party, and just ask for no presents. That would give him the party he wants, but without all the stuff.

Kayla Moncur said...

Throw him a party! I think people would understand the half birthday but you could also just do a few weeks before or after.

Mandi said...

You'll have to let me know how it goes as I have a Dec birthday too! I'd think you could just throw a summer party and not even have it be a birthday party if you want but just a Peter summer party and let him plan it all out. Like I said you'll have to let me know what you do and how it works.

Seriously... said...

i would totally do a birthday party sometime near-ish his birthday. I had 2 brothers with late december birthdays and it usually worked out (or wait until january and schools back in session). it's hard though....you're pretty much all partied out by the time christmas is over.....

Patrick, Adrienne, Isabella, & Makenzie said...

I don't know about when you're five, but my birthday is Dec 22nd so I never had a birthday party growing up - well, a few. I finally got one for my 16th birthday, and it was kind of a combo moving away party, so it was in early summer. My parents even booked a few hours at the pool on base for it. It was big because of that, but I got the experience.

I think it wouldn't hurt to do it and he seems to really understand things so maybe he wouldn't be able to have one again at his birthday (or after, in January).

But I also like the Peter Summer Party idea. That's really cute! He can host it and everything.

But I liked having that one birthday party in the summer b/c it gave me the experience, and it was separate from Christmas/New Year's... everything else going on then.

We mostly just had family birthday shindigs growing up.

And I'm rambling. :)