Monday, August 29, 2011

Practically Perfect

Today was nearly perfect.

Why?

Cooper and Phoebe both got lots of sleep and were happy and sweet when they woke up. We did bedtime just a little bit early last night and I was afraid they would wake up before the sun, but they slept in much more than usual. I'm going to see if I can replicate the results tomorrow.

I was able to fold and put away four loads of laundry and prepare something other than cold cereal for breakfast, all before Phoebe awoke. Usually I can't fold laundry when the kids are awake because they love to come running through my piles of neatly folded clothes. This does not a happy mommy make. Today the boys sat and read and talked to me. No running. It was a nice change. And Peter has been requesting oatmeal for days and I was finally up early enough that I could make it. I love that we consider oatmeal a fancy breakfast.

We went to the park and enjoyed warm sunshine with a cool breeze, a splendid combination. During the walk to the park I breathed in the delicious late-summer smells and thought about how idyllic our path was, covered with shadows from overhanging branches. The boys loved it because we saw a huge earthworm, a grasshopper, a leaf bug, and many ants. It was almost as good as going to the zoo.

We played with friends. The park is always better when friends are there.

I actually made dinner, something that I haven't done much of lately. I think that may be the only thing about summer that I don't adore: it's too hot to cook. But Phoebe had a fantastic nap during Cooper's quiet time, so I seized the opportunity and got dinner going before the dreaded four-o'clock-crazy that tends to descend upon my house.

The boys were pretty well behaved up until five-thirty, well past the usual bewitching hour. I'm sure that helped with the perfectness of the day.

We did have a little trauma with bedtime. (Peter said he'd rather disobey and sit in time-out than obey, so I granted his wish. Don't worry he's back in his bed and, hopefully, asleep.) But even with a rough end, today was still wonderful. That's why I'm writing about it. I'll need to remember on difficult days in the future that days like today exist.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Savor this sweet memory.
=)

Charlynn said...

Like. Like. Like. Like! Glad you had such a perfect day.