Thursday, January 19, 2012

I've Got Rhythm

I went to my first live Zumba class tonight. It was free and I'd done a Zumba DVD a few times, so I figured it would be a nice little workout.

I may not be able to walk tomorrow.

After ten minutes I realized I was seeing stars. My thought process was this, "What is going on? I ate dinner, so I should have enough fuel. Am I going to pass out?"

After twenty minutes I felt like I was going to throw up. Really. I lowered my intensity a bit and kept going. Part of me wanted to go sit down and wait until I couldn't hear the blood pounding in my ears, but another part, the stubborn part apparently, wanted to continue because it was the closest thing I've done to a dance class in years. And I really love to dance.

I caught on to the dance steps quickly and my rhythm was good. It's funny how your body remembers certain skills even though they've been dormant for a long time. I don't think I'll become a Zumba regular, but I do think I'd like to take a dance class or two.

You know, because I totally have room for it in my schedule...

2 comments:

Grandma Bonnie said...

When I went back to playing ball after having kids, and a long time of not playing, I could still play a good game, but my hands were so sore I couldn't grip the door knob when I got home. I stayed with it and eventually played the best ball of my life. Don't give up.

Amanda said...

I LOVE ZUMBA! Everyone doubts the intensity of it, but as you've found out, it's an awesome workout and so much fun too! How many people were in your class?