Tuesday, January 31, 2012

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Today was better. So much better. We still had conflict and the boys earned time-outs, but nothing like yesterday. I know the difference had to do with the way I handled things. It also helped that I had this:



Last night for Family Home Evening we made up a contract. Our lesson topic for the last month and a half has been on various aspects of respect. This week we reviewed everything we've been learning and put it on paper. With the exception of Phoebe, we each signed our own name. I think this is the first time Cooper has ever written his name.

Throughout the day I would reference the aspects of respect by number. "Cooper, when you jump on the couch, are you taking care of our belongings? Please follow number three." "Peter, remember number one? It's my turn to speak now, it will be your turn in a minute."

I have no idea how long this document will have power, but I'm going to use it as long as I can.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I think it's true that the things that you notice are the things that will stick. There's my 2 cents. Of course Nathan is only 4 months old.