Thursday, July 9, 2015

It's Good to Have Goals

Phoebe has decided she wants to be famous.

On Tuesday she asked me, "What's the fastest way I can become famous?" I suddenly had terrifying images of Kardashian-like shenanigans running through my brain. I explained that it's important to be famous because you've done something good, like scientists who end diseases or authors who write inspiring books. We also talked about a little boy who ran a lemonade stand and used the proceeds to buy wheelchairs for people who needed them.

She decided that a lemonade stand was probably easier than becoming a scientist.

Yesterday, after listening to Shake It Off for the twentieth time in two days (next time I'll wait until my kids are asleep to watch music videos on YouTube to figure out which note I'm singing wrong), she announced that she would be a famous singer.

"Oh, like Taylor Swift?" I asked.

"Yes!" she gleefully answered.

"Then you should learn how to play the piano and guitar. Did you know that she can play both of those?"

Phoebe didn't believe me, so I turned to my friend YouTube and showed her clips of Ms. Swift rocking out on both instruments. After watching, Phoebe agreed to start piano lessons after we move.

Her desire to be famous is scary, but I totally understand it. I wanted to be famous when I was her age and for many years thereafter. It wasn't until I was out of college and could see what a little bit of fame was doing to my old classmates and friends that I rethought that wish. Even now the old siren song of notoriety calls out to me. I do my best to close my ears to it.

On the bright side, maybe Phoebe will be more willing to practice the piano than she otherwise would have been!

No comments: