Friday night at our house means movie night. Tonight there was a lot of back and forth about what we were going to watch. Each child wanted to watch something different, and the thing that Bryan and I wanted to watch had disappeared from our cue. While Bryan was on the computer trying to locate the missing movie, the kids and I watched trailers for the movies we do have, a cool feature of the streaming service we were using.
After watching the trailers for The Young Victoria (Phoebe sighed happily when it ended and announced it as her pick for the night) and Young Frankenstein (which totally weirded the kids out), we watched the trailer for Singin' in the Rain.
Way back when the boys were three and one, we watched Singin' in the Rain. I distinctly remember how much both boys loved it and that it was an eye-opener for me as a young mom that they could be engaged by more than just cartoons. Frankly, I was pretty sure that meant my children were geniuses.
So when we watched the trailer tonight, I watched the kids reactions. The boys clearly had no memory of seeing it, but everyone liked what they saw enough that we reached a unanimous movie vote and I pushed play on the Gene Kelly classic.
Of course, Singin' in the Rain is a classic for a reason: it's wonderful. And I was delighted to see that my kids recognized that. During Donald O'Connor's famous comedic number "Make 'Em Laugh" we were all laughing out loud and Peter announced, "This is the best movie."
At the conclusion of the film, I remembered how much I love sharing great movies with my family, movies that make the whole world seem a little brighter. And while we watched I made a mental note of future family movie submissions, including It Happened One Night, Some Like It Hot, all the Danny Kaye movies, The General, and pretty much anything with tap dancing.
I love movie night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment