The last few years have been...rough. I'm sure that's true for many people. One way I've responded is by cutting back on what I'm required to do. I just discovered one of the things I cut back on was writing about the kids birthdays.
Oops.
So, instead of just writing about Sophie turning the magical age of 8, I'm going to go back in time a bit.
In 2018, Sophie turned five. She celebrated by eating sparkly, pink pancakes for breakfast, having a birthday snack with friends at preschool, making her Belle dreams come true, eating mac and cheese for dinner, and getting what may be the fanciest cake Bryan has ever made.
In 2019, Sophie turned six. She had a much simpler cake (because Mom decorated it), wore a fancy dress to school, was surprised when I showed up in her Kindergarten classroom to be the mystery reader, discovered that pink pudding and a fashion designer kit were her dream gifts, wore multiple crowns, and enjoyed the simple but still tasty cake.
In 2020, she turned seven. She again wore a fancy dress, posed in front of the birthday tree, shifted her favorite princess to Ariel, played a fun pin-the-horn-on-the-unicorn game that Phoebe made, went on a treasure hunt to find a tiny pink crown piñata, asked for a watermelon cake, and was sung to by Bryan's mom's side of the family during a Zoom Christmas party.
And, finally bringing us into the present, in 2021 Sophie turned eight. She had chocolate donuts and egg nog for breakfast, attended her classes as a unicorn, went on another treasure hunt and found a tiny unicorn piñata on the deck in the backyard, got a book that she's repeatedly asked for, decided Elsa is really her favorite, played with new toys since she had worked ahead and finished all her schoolwork for the day on Saturday, assembled gingerbread houses with her siblings, requested steak and mac and cheese and broccoli and a tiered rainbow cake with sky blue frosting, discovered throwing a piñata on the floor is way more fun than hitting it with a stick, and had a grand day!
No comments:
Post a Comment