Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Sleep: A Team Sport

Topher takes a nap in the middle of each day. That means we go through his sleep routine twice each day, once for his nap and once at bedtime. It used to consist of some snuggling, some reading, some singing, brushing his teeth, and saying his prayers.

Recently, however, the four big kids have become part of the act. As soon as I announce that Topher is going to sleep, they all drop what they're doing and go running for my room. If one of them is wrapped up in something and doesn't jump right away, Topher motions for them, calls them by name, and says, "Come on!"

Topher follows them up, giggling as he climbs the stairs. I trail close behind him to ensure that he keeps going up and doesn't tumble down. Then he goes running into my room and I close the gate behind us. At this point he starts looking, because while we were climbing all the other kids were hiding.

Their hiding places are usually pretty obvious, which is just right for a searching two-year-old. Topher delights as he yanks blankets off of them and pulls them out of the closet or bathroom. Then, once everyone is found, they each come with a hug and a kiss for Topher. For a time they would all pile onto my bed for a giant snuggle, but that got pretty rough, so we adjusted.

All five kids love this game that they get to play twice each day. I think it's pretty great too.

1 comment: