Peter struggled with a Language Arts assignment last week. There was much bemoaning about the ridiculousness of writing poetry, the strictness of his teacher, the narrow definitions supplied for the types of poetry available. Finally he finished both poems and shared them with me. Then he let me share them with his siblings. Cooper and Phoebe both jumped up and shared their own poems that deal with similar themes. And there was much rejoicing/comparing of each others abilities.
Here are Peter's contributions:
# 1
Like the blackest night,
or the deepest sea,
It was always there,
Stood beside me
But when its dark,
Was crushing in,
Despite the hurt,
I could still win
Past its gloom,
And past its cloud,
When I looked,
There was a crowd
People stood there,
Guiding my way,
There to help me,
And there to stay.
To stand triumphant,
To win in the end,
'Cause when I looked,
I found a friend.
# 2
When the walls came crashing down,
There was no one to hear them.
Once the walls came crashing down
There was no one to fear them.
When the walls came crashing down
All the birds took flight.
When the walls came crashing down
No animal in sight.
When the walls came crashing down
The world it did stand still
When the walls came crashing down
There on a distant hill
When the walls came crashing down
No other took its place
When the walls came crashing down
With strange, unworldly grace
Where great walls once stood
Where a great city once called home
Now an empty plain
Where the walls once stood.
3 comments:
I particularly liked the repetition as a rhetorical device. The power is incremental and emphasizes the resolution in the last stanza.
Peter, very impressive!
=0)
I enjoyed both poems ✨️
Post a Comment