I've been thinking a lot about comments lately. Peter is so familiar with my daily routine that whenever I turn on the computer he asks, "Did we get any comments?" He'll usually follow that with, "Oh, we got four!" I'm not sure why four is the chosen number, but that's the digit he most often goes with. Sometimes we have comments, sometimes we don't. I try not to gauge my self-worth by the number of comments I have, but I have my moments. I would be surprised to learn of someone with a blog that didn't feel some sense of anxiety over a dearth of responses.
I had an epiphany a few weeks ago: If I want comments on my blog, I need to leave comments on my friends' blogs.
Google Reader has been wonderful for keeping on top of reading everyone's blogs (although, truth be told, I currently have over one hundred items to read, but I expect I can move through them rather quickly), but not so great for commenting on them. Why is the extra step of opening a new window to view the blog such a deterrent? Am I really that lazy? (Yes.)
The other comment impediment I have is that sometimes I want to comment on a blog, but then I realize that the person (who I know, but may not have seen in many years) is probably unaware that I read their blog. Awkward. Do I out myself as a blog stalker? Do I act natural, like "of course I read your blog, it was on your Facebook page and we ARE Facebook friends, why wouldn't I read it?" Or do I continue to skulk in the shadows of the internet (whoa, that sounds much more nefarious than it did in my head)?
I usually just skulk.
That gets me into the habit of not saying anything. On anyone's blog. Lame, huh?
So, if you haven't heard anything from me for a while on your own blog, please know that I'm still reading. And know that I've re-doubled my efforts to make comments.
I'm still pretty lousy at returning emails. One thing at a time...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
I don't always a comment, but I always read your blog. I don't want to say something lame, so sometimes I play it safe by saying nothing. I do appreciate your insights, and sense of humor. I love the stories about the boys. They are so cute!
*shaking my head*
I'm the same way. And I read your blog - even though we lived in the same ward for probably 12 months and didn't hang out like friends. College was such a selfish time, darn it.
Nevertheless, if I HAD made the effort to make and keep friends in college, I sure would have liked hanging with you. Your blog proves it. Now back to my invisible internet self.
I'd like to think that I'm a decent commenter, but there are some blogs I'm more of a lurker on. (Eventually I stop reading, usually, because I can't keep up with too many of those just-lurking blogs).
I think it's a shame that there are MANY out there that blog but that never seem to comment on anybody else's blogs. I think they must have a totally different perception of blogs than the rest of us, because they must not experience the same thrill the rest of us get from seeing our comments (or else, why wouldn't they do it?). If someone has NEVER commented on my blog, it's only a matter of time before I axe them from my Reader.
That said, I've decided that not all comments are created equal. There are a couple people who comment on my blog only when they want to point some kind of opposing point of view (would be fine if they occasionally chimed in with a "cute kids" on my cutesy posts or something); and then there is one who comments on my blog like it's something to check off her list (I can tell she only reads, like, the first couple of sentences sometimes.) Again, not bad I guess, but doesn't exactly warm my heart.
Aaaaand I think I'm rambling. (One reason I sometimes avoid commenting ... if I start, I worry people will think I'm some weirdo that can't stop typing.) (Probably true.) :-) I guess I have a lot to say on this!
Anyway -- I think it's cute that Peter asks how many comments you got. And I like your blog a lot, even if I don't comment on every post. :-)
It is really awkward to comment on a person's personal blog when you haven't had any personal communication in about a dozen years and you aren't sure they even know who you are.
I do it anyway.
If you really want to know who is reading your blog, add a blog tracker like the one I have at the bottom of my blog. Not only does it show you which of your friends is looking at your posts, it also outs the lurkers out there that are not leaving comments. I've had people show up on my blog from places like Ho Chi Minh City and Jakarta! Weird, huh?
I read and enjoy your blog. I love to hear about Peter and Cooper. I quit blogging because I got so few comments. I thought no one was reading it.
I'm going to give you a gift right now. It will probably change your life.
There is a plug-in for Google Reader that allows you to see the blog inside the Reader viewing pane, AND..make comments. Inside Google Reader. Without having to open a new tab/window. It's amazing.
http://bookblogs.ning.com/group/bloggingtips/forum/topics/using-the-firefox-greasemonkey
I don't think I have ever commented on your blog, or many others, but I found it one day, and ever since I have read it. I guess you can call me a blog stalker, but we were roommates in College. Either way, I still enjoy reading. Thanks - Shirlee
i'm bad at commenting too....the thing that i try to think about when i start getting comment-minded is WHY i have my blog. for me, first and foremost it's to record our family history and make a blog book so we have a tangible record of our family....everything else (comments) are just gravy. Don't get me wrong....gravy is good.....but I try to not let it get me down. i'm still a good person. i'm still a good mom. i'm sure a few people out there like me. even if they don't TELL me :)
You're on my google reader. I read you daily. Thanks so much. I love reading.
Google reader is so nice, it saves so much time, but it does have the draw back of not being able to comment directly from it. I love reading the blogs in my reader, but I too need to go to the blogs and make more comments. Thanks for the reminder!
I am THE WORST at leaving comments, so I get it. I, too, get excited when I see that I have comments on my own blog, so why don't I spend more effort on giving others that same thrill? Who knows, but you've inspired me to try harder. Starting with this comment! :)
Google reader is also making me lazy about commenting, but I'm still reading. I love it, by the way. You are pretty funny and I'm not just saying that so that to be nice.
Post a Comment