Yesterday was glorious. It was a beautifully warm day, yet slightly overcast so the sun didn't feel hot while we were playing outside. The boys and I went to the park across the street and discovered that we weren't the only ones that had had that idea. There were thirteen children running through the gardens and climbing over the playground.
They started by drawing with chalk on the basketball court. Cooper stuck with this activity long after the others had moved on. He discovered that if he drew with the chalk, then ran his hand through it, his hand would be covered in colored chalk dust. By the time we went home an hour and a half later Cooper was a mass of dusty pastels.
The rest of the kids discovered that one of drip lines in the gardens had a leak in it. This was a prime opportunity for some mud making. I've been told I'm too strict, but the fact that I let Peter play in the mud is an excellent example to the contrary. He told me they were making pumpkin soup with cauliflower, cow grass, wood chips, and rocks.
All of the kids had a glorious time. Knowledge is power and Peter knows how to turn the water on in the gardens. He suggested turning on a spigot to add to the water content. The fun finally stopped when I realized they might be uprooting someone's garden. Tools were gathered, hands were washed under the hose, and shoes were removed because they were too muddy to clean properly.
After running and playing while I scrubbed sandals, we walked home. I'm not sure which they liked better, getting to make pumpkin soup in the mud or sitting on the edge of sink while their arms and legs were thoroughly cleaned.
It was a beautiful day.
Tuesday, May 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That made me miss Pemberley!
Post a Comment