Monday, May 31, 2010

Is There a Use for Weeds?

It's almost 2 in the afternoon and I think I've accomplished everything that I wanted to for the day. We put on our grubby work-in-the-garden clothes this morning and tended to our sadly neglected garden. Due to the snow and rain we've had in the last month, I haven't been out to pull weeds since we planted.

The garden was covered in green, and not because all of our plants had come up.

In fact, only half of what we planted has sprouted, if that. I finally broke down and bought some starter plants to replace the cucumbers and zucchini. And thanks to the freeze last week, all six of the tomatoes we put in died.

After more than two hours of weeding (Bryan and I weeded while Peter and Cooper gathered and threw a few of the rocks that fill our garden), I pulled out the dead plants and put in the live ones. And since only half of our peas came up, and maybe a third of our beans, we had some extra room. Peter picked out an extra pumpkin plant and two melons and we filled in some of the empty spots.

I really hope things start to grow.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

It sounds like the boys are growing in your garden.

Patrick, Adrienne, Isabella, & Makenzie said...

just punishment for eating some amazingly good fruit a very long time ago....