In the last month I've seen several blog posts floating around about how different families observe holidays. Some moms go crazy with treats and decorations and activities. Some moms do nothing. I think most of us are somewhere in between.
I like holidays. When the boys were tiny I would celebrate in little ways, like turning our oatmeal pink on Valentine's Day. I still don't do much, but I like to do something. Since Bryan and I enjoy cooking, much of our celebrating includes food, but not always. With the exception of Halloween and Christmas, I rarely decorate. It's hard enough keeping the regular house tidy, adding decorations to the mess can be overwhelming for me.
My holiday enjoyment has rubbed off on the children. They love having a special dinner or a holiday specific coloring page. On Sunday morning I was washing Phoebe's hands after a sticky breakfast of pancakes and Easter candy. Here's what she told me as we washed.
"Mommy, I love Easter! I love all holidays! Like Christmas and Thanksgiving and Halloween and... what other ones are there?"
I suggested the Fourth of July.
"Yes! The Fourth of July! And my birthday, because that's also a celebration."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment