Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Brain Food

I read a book! May I suggest a few possible responses to this statement:
  1. Huzzah!
  2. Well done. The decline of literacy in our society is the single greatest calamity of the decade, nay, the century.
  3. Was it Cat in the Hat?
  4. So?
I'd go with huzzah personally. It's been so long since I read a whole book that it was like drinking a cool glass of water on a hot day. (See that? Sounds totally literary, no?) Anyway, I've been so busy and tired getting used to caring for both boys that I hadn't finished a whole book in a while. Okay that's not true. I finish books every day, but I needed something that did not come from Peter's library.

I read Austenland by Shannon Hale*. I'm also currently reading three non-fiction books, which are great, but I was in the mood for some fun fiction. I'm not a rabid Austen fan, so I had avoided reading it. And by "not a rabid", I mean that I've only been able to get through her stuff in audio book form. (Feel free to judge me, I really don't care.) Granted, I haven't tried since high school. But I do enjoy the movies. I loved it! And it was a quick read, which was good because my reading time is limited. This might sound like an odd way to praise a book, but it was like reading a really well written blog. And I do love a well written blog.


*Go check out her official site. She is one funny lady.

5 comments:

Charlynn said...

Good for you! Mom time is so hard to come by. I look forward to reading it even more after your description (I have it in audio book format). :D

Beth said...

I tend to think that about fun books, too: "this reads like a really well-written blog! I love this!"

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. And glad you liked the book! It was a good one, huh?

GCC said...

Will and I read The Goose Girl by her a while back - really enjoyed it, especially once we got into it. I'll have to read Austenland!

Elisa said...

I enjoyed Austenland, though I think my favorite Shannon Hales book is Goose Girl. I know what you mean about reading a fun fiction...when I'm reading a non fiction for enlightenment I guess you could say, I also have to be reading a fun fiction on the side :). Oh and by the way I love Pride and Prejudice...though I've only read it recently, and I'm guessing if I would have read it in high school I probably wouldn't have like it

Andrea said...

I loved that book too. It was definitely a fun read. Congrats on finishing a book (a grown-up book)!