Friday, August 29, 2008

Promptings

I woke up at 4:10 this morning with the thought that I should go check on Peter. I really wanted to ignore it because I had had a hard time getting to sleep the night before and was really tired, but I got up. I decided to get a drink of water first. While I was in the kitchen Peter called to me and this exchange took place:

Peter: Mommy?
Me: Yes, Peter?
Peter: Mommy, I'm not going to throw up again.

Oh dear.

I went in to check, and sure enough, he clearly didn't feel well. I will not include details because, well, that would be gross. But the situation required attention. Bryan had heard us talking and came in. I cleaned up Peter while he cleaned up the bed/floor. Shortly thereafter Cooper decided to join us. So our whole family was up before 5 AM.

A few minutes after Cooper woke up I needed to go back into my room for something, I don't remember what. While there I had the thought that I should change my shirt. Now, I'm not sure why one pajama shirt is better than another, but I followed the impression. As I was changing I turned toward the corner where Cooper's bed is and saw, from a across a dark room, a spider. The fact that I could see it from where I was with almost no light should tell you how big that thing was. Bryan came in to see why I had just called out and saw it too. Bryan served his mission in Brazil where they have spiders the size of dinner plates, so I didn't think he would agree with me that it was wicked big. But he did. Apparently the really big spiders are only outdoors in Brazil. Or maybe it was that this spider, while only (only!?) the size of a 50 cent piece, was right by his baby's bed. He vacuumed it up with the shop vac, then plugged the vacuum hose so that it couldn't crawl back out. Just in case.

How does one type the sound that accompanies grossed-out chills and shivers? Just curious.

Anyway, after the spider was taken care of Bryan decided to go into work to get his laptop so that he could work from home in case I needed the extra help. (I did.) So the boys and I hung out in Peter's room for the next hour as he continued to be, um, sick. The only time Peter is still is when he's ill. He was still for most of the day. We got through four chapters in The Long Winter (most days we're lucky to read two chapters). He usually plays with blocks or colors while I read, but today he just laid there.

By the evening he was feeling better and wanted run around and play. However, we weren't quite as confident in his recovery and insisted that he should play quietly without any running, jumping, or dancing.

It's been a long day, but I'm thankful for those promptings that I got this morning. The Holy Ghost is a major part of my ability to be a good mom.

7 comments:

Bryan said...

It was a huge spider. We have a picture if any aracnophiles out there want to identify it. I pegged it as a Tegenaria Gigantea, or Giant House Spider.

It was giant.

You can see a bunch of pictures of the Tegenaria Gigantea here.
**Don't click on the link, Jordan!**

It was not a hobo spider or a brown recluse, though the former is related to what we saw. But the thing probably would have been a good 3 inches with legs spread.

Bryan said...

Creepy-crawlies and heebie-jeebies.

I got 'em both.

Cristin said...

I worry a lot, so I often wonder if it is a "prompting" or just me worrying. We've also had a few nights where the whole family is up at 3 a.m. The last time it happened we took pictures!

Jordan said...

I won't click on the link; I got the jibblies just reading the discription.

Alisha said...

Oh, my! What an eventful morning for you guys! Gross about the spider. Adam's mission was in Brazil, too, and he has all kinds of pictures of disgusting creatures. *shudder* I hope Pete is feeling better soon! Now, go take a nap or something! :)

Crystal said...

The best books on parenting can't compare to the instructions that come from the promptings of the Spirit. While your story was gross and creepy, it was also very sweet.

Beth said...

I shouldn't have clicked on Bryan's link; now I've got the heebie-jeebies, too. I can't believe that was in your house! EEK.

Sorry that your little guy is sick, but good for you on following those promptings and identifying them as such.