Sunday, August 3, 2008

Pass the baby, please


Bryan and I have it worked out that I take Cooper to choir on Sunday morning while he stays home with Peter and tries to get him to take a nap before church. So Cooper is a regular at choir. I sang a solo with the choir in June and there were a few times that Cooper started to fuss while I was practicing. A sweet woman, who has six boys of her own, offered to hold him while I sang. At first I hesitated. Then I relented, thinking that there was no harm in this. She did it during two additional practices

Today during choir practice this same woman got my attention from across the room and asked if she could hold Cooper for me. He was being his usual sweet self and not fussing at all. I started to decline, saying I was fine, but thanks. Then she came over and said, "Please? I need to feel useful. And moms always need a break." Since she'd walked all the way over, I said it would be okay and handed him to her. I then proceeded to glance back at him every few minutes to see what he was doing and to make sure that he was okay.

Am I the only mom that doesn't really like other people to hold my baby? Family is different, of course. Especially grandparents. If any of the grandparents are visiting I try to make sure that they get as much grandchild-bonding time as possible. But people from church that I only kind of know? Some moms seem to be totally fine with their child being passed around Relief Society. I am not. I just get too anxious. I wonder if he's okay, and if the person holding him is getting tired, and if I should just walk up and say "I'd like my child back now please."

And you know what, I really like holding my baby. When Peter was little and Bryan would take him to Elder's Quorum, I would sit in Relief Society and miss holding him. Granted, those were the only weeks that I got to sit through the whole lesson, but it was still kind of hard. And now I do the same thing with Cooper. I do love to hear a lesson in its entirety, but I also love holding that sweet boy. I don't really need a break from that.

Now, if any of these sisters showed up at my house during the hour or so before dinner, then I would gladly let them hold either boy...

4 comments:

My life in a blog said...

A family friend jokes that Alana won't learn to walk until she's 3 because she's never seen the floor. I also just like to hold my baby! Nothing wrong with that! :) I agree about dinner, although if someone's going to come over, I'd rather just have them cook the dinner for me so I can continue to hold the baby! ;)

LeMira said...

You're not strange at all. My mom and I are both the same way. Once in church a girl walked up to my mom and just took her baby. My mom immediately took him back and told her that her baby stays with her during church.

TheMoncurs said...

I'm totally the same way. I very infrequently hand him over and usually only when he's being a total pill and then I'm handing him to the ward's baby whisperer (seriously, she's amazing). I just like to hold him myself and I don't really like other people touching him (probably because he was born in the thick of cold, flu, and RSV season and I'm still paranoid)

Holly said...

Check this out. We went to a wedding reception and the father of the bride (who we did not know), asked to hold our baby, then took her down the line to show her to the bride, then kissed her, then passed her to his wife who held her until I insisted we had to keep going as we were holding up the line. Weird!