I unraveled another project last night. (Stinking gauge...) Maybe I'll just send everyone a skein of yarn for Christmas and tell them to be creative.
Speaking of creativity, I'm throwing a bridal shower this weekend for my fabulous sister-in-law. I've got all the food assignments handed out and have people in charge of the activities, which basically leaves me with the task of decorating. We're having the shower at Bryan's aunt's gorgeous home, so really, my job should be pretty easy.
Except that I've decorator's block. Our theme is "My Favorite Things" and the only thing I've thought of so far is to have pictures of the happy couple for people to peruse. I'm using this post as a brainstorming session: what else could I use to decorate that would fit the theme?
I'd like to go for a less-is-more motif. Would it be weird to have items signifying my sister-in-law's favorite things? The things that come to mind are dance shoes, a flute, classical music CDs, a journal, perhaps a microscope (she teaches biology)? These don't really scream bridal shower to me, and it's not like we're having a memorial. Oh, I don't know.
What do you guys think?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
How about fun things. Biology=bugs, dance bugs, music bugs, etc and ending with the love bug.
The only thing I ever bother decorating really is the table (and maybe do some of those Martha Stewart tissue paper pom poms hanging from the ceiling cause they're so fun). But I usually do a nice tablecloth with multiple levels for food (set a couple empty boxes under the tablecloth for height) and coordinated plates and a nice bowl or dispenser for drinks. And then I can toss a few things on the table to make it nice (flowers, candles, pictures, balloons, etc).
Have you seen any of the tables Amy Atlas has done? that's pretty much what I go for and I don't bother doing much else since the table is usually the centerpiece anyway.
I remember a song in about the 1930's one of the line...the love bug will get you if you don't watch out and if it ever gets you you will sing and shout. It might make fun back ground music.
Why not use the lyrics of the song you alluded to in your title as a guide. Certainly a girl in a white dress (the bride), perhaps blue sashes (hung about or passed out as guests arrive), cut-out snow flakes. Then ask all the guests to wrap their presents in brown paper and string. I'm sure you can do better.
what did you end up doing?
Post a Comment