Friday, August 13, 2010

Not Yet

It's bizarre to me that school has already started for some people. Not until I came to college did I have a first day of school in August. The thirteen years before that, school started in September.

Reading other blogs about kids starting kindergarten (in combination with the poem I posted yesterday) has made me realize that I'm glad Peter has a late birthday. While I'd like him to be able to start school with the other kids born in 2005, I'm glad that I have one more year to spend all day with him.

Selfish, eh?

3 comments:

Grandma Bonnie said...

I started a year late but that only lasted one day and I was promoted to 1st grade. Remember we are the same age...almost.

Crystal said...

School starts in August now. Temecula began on Monday, but they will get out in May. Vista will begin August 23rd, and Oceanside begins August 26th. Every year the discussion among the teachers is the same. We think school should begin after Labor Day because that is how we grew up. At least this year we will get out June 8th. That is a full week earlier than usual. This has been done to save money, but I think everyone is ready for vacation by then.

Amanda said...

In Indiana we always started school somewhere between 20 August and 25 August, and were out by the end of the first week of June.

I'm pretty sure school has been in session here for two full weeks now. They have a much more year-round type of schedule. I like it and wish we had done something more like that when I was in school. And yes, I felt that way when I was younger also.