Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Reasons?

Remember that little thing we did last month called moving? And remember how the reason we had to move was that the fellow who owns our condo wanted to move back in? And so we spent the better part of July praying for a place to live and driving all over the area looking for something and packing and moving? And most of August unpacking?

As it turns out, someone may not have been telling the whole truth.

Soon after we moved out Bryan took up the habit of driving by our old place to see if the owner had moved in yet. Up until last week it appeared that nothing was going on. And then on Thursday evening we saw something new.

A for rent sign.

Yup, the same place we were kicked out of to make room for the owner was now being offered for rent. The next day we found a listing for it on the same site we had originally seen it. The condo was listed for $50 more a month than we had been paying.

Bryan and I have been asking ourselves the following: did the owner want to move in originally, but then changed his mind? Did they tell us the story just to get us to leave so they could charge more for it? If more money was their goal, why didn't they come to us first? True, we didn't want to pay more, but raising our rent would have cost $600 more per year. Moving was more expensive than that.

We both feel slightly violated.

4 comments:

Shari said...

It's hard to know what they were thinking. But I think they lost some good tennants who took care of their place. You guys were golden tenant! You kept the place clean, in good repair and paid your rent on time. That's a lot more than can be said for the past tenants.I look at it as their loss. Who knows how long or if they will find new tenants as good and caring as you guys.
You've been through a lot this past couple of months but Heavenly Father has taken care of you through this trial. You found a place close by, in the same ward, got to keep your garden and ward friends. I'm not sure the reason for all this. Sometimes life is so unfair. But you made it through and developed some "experience" in the process.

"If we could sell our experiences for what they cost us, we'd all be millionaires."
Abigail Van Buren

If this is true I'm a multi-millionaire -Move over Bill Gates and Oprah!

Grandma Bonnie said...

A good renter is hard to find. All of my renters are wonderful. I take less money than I could get for both of my rentals because I know it is more profetable in the long run. These people didn't know when they had a good thing, its their loss.

Cristin said...

This is one of the reasons why I hate being a renter. With our last house, they raised the rent, so we moved out. I talked to the tenants after us and they had negotiated the price with the landlords down to what we were paying. I was irritated, but it worked out better for us in the long run.

Emily said...

Ugh. So sorry. Maybe they did just change their minds. Who knows how long the next renters will get to stay.