Friday, November 19, 2010

The Beginning of the End

The first semester Bryan and I were married we took a couples-only Ballroom dance class. It was a fun date every Friday night. I remember one Friday in November, our class finished early and we were driving around town looking for something else to do. We decided on a movie.

"Didn't that Harry Potter movie come out today?" one of us said.

"Yeah, but it's probably sold-out," came the reply.

We decided to check it out anyway. There were a few tickets still available and we snagged two of them. I had only read the first five chapters of the first book, so I had nothing to compare it to. But I liked the movie, I thought it was fun.

We enjoyed it so much that when the second movie came out we bought our opening-day tickets in advance.

For the third movie we went at midnight. This was the first Harry Potter movie I saw after having read the books. It's also my favorite film of the series.

We saw the fourth movie twice, two days in a row. Once on opening night. Then again on Saturday morning as part of a company-wide movie day from Bryan's employer.

The fifth was our first of the franchise to require a babysitter. Luckily, Bryan's sister lived nearby and stayed with Peter while we watched the Order of the Phoenix. This is my second favorite.

You can read my thoughts on the sixth movie here. We were in California and had the luxury of leaving Peter and Cooper with my parents while we saw an opening day showing, not at midnight, because we were no longer crazy.

We've seen every Harry Potter movie on opening day since the first one premiered.

Until today.

We do not have tickets for part one of the Deathly Hallows. Even if we did, we don't have a babysitter. I've never been comfortable taking a baby to a movie theater, and even if we had a babysitter, we couldn't leave Phoebe, at least I couldn't, she's still too little to be away from her food source for an extended period of time.

So today we're breaking our nine-year tradition. I'm a little sad, but I figure I'll feel the same way when I see it on DVD as I would after seeing it on the big screen. Maybe I'll sit really close to the screen and throw popcorn all over my floor, you know, to recreate the theater feeling at home.

7 comments:

Jordan said...

And maybe Peter could rip a couple of paper slips in half (to represent tickets) as he looks at you with the empty eyes of teenager full of angst (which is, you know, every teenager, ever).

The Lybbert Family said...

We have taken Alice to a couple movies, and she slept through the entire thing. We were just sure to pick times when we knew there wouldn't be a whole lot of people in there. We were very surprised.

Beth said...

Wow, that's some tradition!

Book three was my favorite, too. (Funny, though -- book five is my *least* favorite!)

Ashley Ann said...

A positive to waiting for the DVD is that it will be closer to the release of the second half. You won't have to wait so long in between. Plus, all the kiddos will be a little older by then, so you might be able to leave them with a sitter to see the second half. Since they are both part of the same book, you could still say you say all seven books on opening night/day. Brilliant!

Shari said...

"There's no need to fear"...however that line goes..."nana and papa will soon be here"...at least we will be in about 13 days. We'd love to sit with the kids while you and Bryan go out to a movie or something. Sorry it couldn't be sooner so you could get in on the movie now. We are excited to come see you. Would Phoebe be able to handle 2 and a half hours (I hear it's a long movie) without momma? I know that is hard to think about right now. You have 13 days to warm up to the idea. We're up for it if you are! Can't wait to see everyone.

Stephanie said...

Good luck! I hope you can see it soon, we're also trying to make plans to go but it gets hard with kids. Just so you know, we did actually go see a movie in the theatre when Hyrum was only 5-6 weeks old. Maybe I'm a bad mom, but it went great. I nursed him for a while and let him sleep under a blanket. I don't think anyone even noticed a baby was with me.

Elisa said...

I think this is the first one I didn't see right away either. I even dressed up with my sister as Hermoine (w/robes and gryffindor scarves)when we saw the 4th one opening night. Oh well. I'm really not that terribly sad about it.