Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Nice and Chubby Baby

Phoebe had her two-month check-up last week. The first thing the doctor did when he walked in the room was to smile at Phoebe and say, "Well, you've never missed a meal, have you?"

It's true, she never has. And she is chubby in a cute-baby kind of way, but she is certainly not fat. She doesn't even hold a candle to my youngest brother; when he was a baby he looked like he had rubber bands around all of his joints. No, Phoebe is just nice and snugly.

People have asked us if it's different having a girl. Sometimes I want to answer by saying, "You realize that she's only two-months old, right?" But you know, there have been a few differences. She's far more verbal than the boys were at this age. That's a scary thing in light of how much the boys talk now. Could she grow up to talk even more than they do? I may never get the chance to speak again.

Another difference is with me and not her. I find that I'm more conscientious about what I say to her. I used to have no problem telling the boys I thought their giant heads were cute. With Phoebe I think I'm afraid of giving her a complex at some point in the future, so I don't say things like that.

The other big difference is that I spend a few extra minutes in the morning picking out her clothes. Little boy clothes are so much easier to match. Most of the pants come in solid colors so coordinating a shirt to a pair of pants isn't a big deal. Little girl clothes? There are flowers and hearts and polka dots and stripes and ruffles, on the shirts AND the pants. Those extra minutes are spent trying to figure out how on earth these things are supposed to go together.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Phoebe is such a beautiful blessing. Girls are definately different from boys, and ach child is an adventure.
=)

Marc R. said...

Oh you will be able to talk again--after they grow up and leave home.