Monday, November 8, 2010

This Is My Sixteeth Post With the Word Pumpkin In It

Bryan rearranged the freezer a few days ago (in an attempt to fit in more food storage stuff) and found my final cup of frozen pumpkin from last year's jack-o-lanterns. I figured a year was long enough and asked him to stick it in the fridge so I would remember to use it.

Since then I've been craving pumpkin cookies. I finally decided that we should make some and I went to find my favorite recipe, the one that I copied out of my Mom's cookbook when I went to college.

And it was gone.

It was then that I remembered that the last time I made these cookies (a few weeks ago) the page the recipe was written on had been about to break free from it's mooring. I guess I've loved that cookbook a little too much. After a quick (but understated) freak-out, I found the paper stuck inside a different cookbook.

It occurred to me that the best way to not lose the recipe again was to put it on the blog. And, bonus, that means I get to share it with you. I think everyone has a favorite pumpkin recipe (everyone that likes pumpkin at least) and this is mine. And according to what he said when I talked to him a few weeks ago, it's my brother's favorite too. My brother who makes ridiculously good cookies (or so I've heard) and loves to bake as much as I do, so that's saying something.

Pumpkin Cookies

Combine:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt (I prefer kosher salt)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
Set aside.

In a new bowl cream:
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine
  • 3/4 cup honey (or 1 cup sugar if that's what you prefer)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup pumpkin
  • 1 cup raisins (if you're my brother) or chocolate chips (if you're Bryan)
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

Oh, and according to my notes these cookies have 95 calories apiece, which means tonight I have consumed 475 calories in pumpkin cookie form. Maybe I should save the rest for another day...

1 comment:

Seriously... said...

i love pumpkin cookies. they're going on my list of things to make once i start cooking again :)

You asked if the renovation was worth it? I guess I would have to say "yes", though if I would have known how much work and how hard it was going to be i don't think I would have done it. In my mind I thought it would just be a few week and we'd be in. But it cost twice as much and took 3 times as long....and it was hard. So yes-and-no. Would I do it again? No. Am i glad i did it? yes. the most important thing is that it is over. I'm hoping it's like childbirth and the pain of it goes away after a while :)