Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Spelling Bee

I've been struggling with making up a song to teach Cooper how to spell his name. I got the idea from my mom. She made one up for my youngest brother (and possibly for the rest of us, but I don't know about that) and it still plays in my brain on occasion.

Peter has a song. When he was little I changed the words to Bingo and used his name instead:

I know a boy who is so sweet and Peter is his name-o
P-E-T-E-R
P-E-T-E-R
P-E-T-E-R
And Peter is his name-o!

I think this song is one reason Peter could spell his name at such a young age.

Cooper's name has proved more difficult. Who knew that one extra letter would throw such a wrench into my lyrical ambitions. Today though, I hit name-spelling gold. Think of a certain blue, furry monster with a serious cookie addiction:

C is for Cooper
C-O-O-P-E-R
C is for Cooper
C-O-O-P-E-R
C is for Cooper
C-O-O-P-E-R
Oh! C-O-O-P-E-R spells Cooper!
C-O-O-P-E-R spells Cooper!

I know, it's simple, but the timing of his name was perfect. And now maybe when we ask him how to spell Cooper he won't say "P-E-T-R."

2 comments:

isaac said...

im haveing trouble matching the toon to the representation to the post

you should send me a video of cooper singing it
well if its not overwhelming in your zombified state which im sure could prove a hindrance to that request

you guys are so awsome

Beth said...

That's clever!! Good job!

I didn't do a song for my boys (they are not in to songs) (I *know*) but I did "chunk" their names and say it in the same rhythm each time:

L, O. G-A-N.

and

J-O-S. H-U-A.

That seemed to help, too. I guess that's almost a song, without the notes.

I should do it with our address and phone number now -- Logan still doesn't know them.