Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Shoes

Look! A blurry picture of my feet! But can you tell why I'm using exclamation points in regards to said feet?


No boot!

I saw the doctor today and I've healed a lot since I saw him two weeks ago. I was able to stand on the balls of my feet without crying in pain. They were still sore, but motion was possible. I now have permission to ease out of the boot and into sneakers.

I wore both shoes out of the doctor's office and for about an hour afterward, then I had to put the boot back on because my foot was worn out. I put the shoes on again after bedtime and exercised those unused muscles.

Just as I had to get used to the boot (at first it felt like a rocking chair for my foot), I now have to get used to normal walking. I feel like someone has dug a trench out from under my right foot and I'm continually stepping down too far into it. I didn't realize that all of my walking muscles had adapted to the boot so quickly. Also, I still have to go downstairs like a toddler. I can get upstairs just fine, but walking down sends my ankle muscles into a tizzy of confusion.

That said, I am VERY THANKFUL to have the chance to be out of the boot, even for a little each day. And! I can drive again! Carefully, and maybe not in and out of the garage for a while (some skills need refreshing), but I am allowed to get behind the wheel and drive my children to the library! And church! And a bear-free park!

Know this: I always use my exclamation points wisely.

Shoe!

3 comments:

Brett M said...

Yeah!! So excited for you and your SHOE!

Melody said...

Woohoo! I'm so happy your foot is healing :)

Beth said...

SO glad you are done with the boot! It must have been so hard to go so long without walking or driving -- glad you are healing.