Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Lather. Rinse. Repeat

A few years ago my friend introduced me to the magic of dry shampoo. I don't wash my hair everyday (or every other day) anyway, so using dry shampoo is a great way to make my hair look fresh without taking the time to actually wash it.

However, dry shampoo makes my hair crunchy and hard to brush, but if you don't brush it through then it leaves a white film on your head. And it creates a cloud of heavily scented dust in my bathroom when I spray it on my hair. And it costs money, though my favorite brand is not an expensive one. And when you run out, you're stuck going back to hair that looks like it needs a wash.

In spite of the "ands" in that last paragraph, I do try to keep some dry shampoo on hand. Except right now, I don't have any. And this morning when I saw the state of my hair, I really wished I'd had some. That's when I remembered that a friend from high school used to put baby powder in her hair to take out the oil. I glanced at the bottle of baby powder next to the sink and made my choice. I gave a few quick shakes over the top of my hair and left to corral my children into the car for school.

I made sure to brush through my hair, just so it would all be worked through. Then I went to a meeting at the boys school and we had some friends over to play.

After our friends left I glanced in the mirror. That's when I saw that I hadn't actually brushed the powder out. No, instead it looked like I had a dye job that was growing out to reveal a natural head of white hair. Note: my hair is not white, not yet. I have a few white hairs, but that's all.

Maybe I should just wash my hair...

No comments: