Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Friday Night Lights

I took my fancy camera to the party on Friday night, only to discover that my SD card was at home. That means I had to rely on my phone. Sometimes my phone takes great pictures. This is not one of those times.

Here's the room before the tables were totally set or the back alcove doors were shut, but it still gives you an idea of the decor.



The evening began with our conductor (to the far left in the below picture) welcoming everyone to this special ride on the Polar Express. He did a great job, especially considering he was a last minute replacement when our original conductor got sick.

The food was potluck style, though we asked people to bring specific types of food. We also had a dessert contest with lots of funny awards (including the I'm Going Back for Fifths award and the Make Martha Stewart Jealous award) that Bryan came up with.


After we ate, the conductor turned the time over to the Entertainment Director, which was me, for a game. I read clues for Christmas carols and an entire table had to start singing it in order to win the song. We have some very competitive people in our ward, but I think it went well anyway.

Then a sister in the ward read aloud The Polar Express to the group. Following her performance the Bishop said a few words about Christ being the real first gift of Christmas.


Then the sister missionaries serving in our ward sang and played the violin to present I Believe in Christ, not a traditional Christmas song, but completely applicable to our theme of Believe. The tables were decorated with silver bells attached to tags that said "I believe". We asked everyone present to write a line of their testimony and to sign it. This was the first gift of Christmas we gave to the kids the next morning.


We ended with a prayer and a mad dash to setup for the next morning.

No comments: