A few weeks ago Cooper was asked to give a talk in yesterday's Sacrament Meeting. And then he forgot about it until Saturday night. I learned about it on Sunday morning when I heard the kids discussing what he was writing. Thankfully, he was able to gather his thoughts quickly to write what I think is his best talk yet.
Never Alone
A few weeks ago, I found myself in an oddly dark place. I felt great sadness but I didn't know why and I felt extremely alone. It was late at night and I was by myself in my dark kitchen, confused with my sadness. After some time, my sister came in to get something, and I broke into tears, struggling to breathe. It wasn't a good experience at all, but afterwards I was talking with my parents. My mom had said that my sister had felt a desire to go into the kitchen to get something at that time. It was a time where I wanted to go into my family and join them but I simply couldn't. Yet my sister felt a strong feeling that she needed to be in that kitchen at that time. Standing in my parents room, I was overcome with a warm feeling as the Spirit washed over me. I had realized that at a time when I felt alone, Heavenly Father was watching me and I knew that he sent help my way when I felt too weak to get it myself.
While this was simply one moment of time, I was able to feel a profound sense of our Father in Heaven and our Savior's love for me, that same love which he has for each and every single one of you and every other person.
John 14:18 says:
18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
In D&C 121, Joseph Smith pleads with the Lord against the suffering of the saints, saying:
1 O God, where art thou? And where is the pavilion that covereth thy hiding place?
And the Lord responds by saying:
7 My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;
8 And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes
That seems so comforting to me, that even through our struggles, we will have power over our enemies, over the darkness of Satan, if we endure and turn to God in faith.
But there are times, like my experience, where we simply can't seem to find that faith, to know what to do or where to go, exactly like Peter when he walked in water. Seeing the Savior gave him that faith to step from the boat in the commotion of the storm and move towards Christ. But the darkness overcame him and the storm got to his head, and he fell. I feel like all of us can imagine what Peter felt, in that moment of falling, where he lost everything and felt like all things were gone. And suddenly crying to Jesus, he shouted, “Lord, save me.”
And the Lord immediately reached out His hand, grabbed Peter, and pulled him from the cold darkness of the water.
I love this word, “immediately,” how Peter simply wants Jesus to help him and the Savior does not hesitate to help Peter when he needs it most.
In the garden of Gethsemane, Jesus Christ suffered from every pore for not only our sins, but all of our pains and afflictions.
In the year 1871, Horatio G Spafford, a wealthy attorney, had lost his fortune in the Great Chicago Fire. His son shortly thereafter died from Scarlet fever. With all this devastation occuring he decided to send his wife and four daughters away on ship to England. But the ship had a terrible collision and tragically, all four of his daughters passed away. His wife sent a telegram from England that said, “Saved alone. What shall I do?” On the journey to his wife, he wrote the words to the profound hymn, “It is Well With My Soul,” from which I would like to read the second verse.
Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control:
That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
[Chorus] It is well with my soul; It is well, it is well with my soul.
I bear my testimony that God is real. He is constantly watching over us. His son Jesus Christ atoned for us. I know that the Holy Ghost is sent to comfort us, and to be the ultimate source of guidance.
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
2 comments:
Such profound words from one so young. Thank you Cooper for sharing your experience and insights. 🥰
Thank you Cooper for sharing your experience. It touched my heart to hear your words of wisdom. You are never alone.
Post a Comment