Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Does He Know Something I Don't?

*Peter's been telling me about his sister. He's mentioned her a number of times recently. I keep asking what her name is, but he hasn't told me. I've tried to convince him that he doesn't have a sister, he has a brother. Today he told me that after he's a missionary and gets married, he's going to have a sister.

"You mean a daughter, " I told him.
"No, a sister."

I don't know where that sister is going to come from, considering that by that time I'll be 44, and I'd really like to be done having kids by that time.

I've been asked by a number of people recently how many kids we're going to have. My answer is that we don't have a set number in mind. That doesn't mean that we're going to follow the path of the Duggars (the thought alone is exhausting), we just don't want to say a number and announce that that is all and there will be no more.

I'll be honest, I think I'm a mom of boys. Maybe I'll get a girl, but I'm not holding my breath. I love having boys. But apparently Peter thinks he'll have a sister someday.

Just not any day soon.

* After I wrote this I realized it came across as kind of judgmental. Please know that this is just what our family has decided to do. I fully respect the right of parents to decide how many kids they will have, whether it's one child or ten children.

2 comments:

Bryan said...

It would be nice to have a girl, someday, but I do love my boys. Especially Cooper's 'Magic Hair' today. You have to post a picture if you have one.

Cristin said...

I always think that is such a weird question to ask people - how many kids they want to have. Like assuming we have control over that, aren't most of us just kind of figuring it out as we go?