Usually when I get my haircut I explain a few things to the hairstylist. The first is that I have very fine hair and I want to look like I don't. The second is that I spend little to no time doing my hair in the mornings. I blow-dry it when I'm being fancy. That's all. Then the stylist proceeds to cut my hair. Very quickly.
This time I told her that I wanted a change. My hair was just long. It didn't have much shape and I wanted something new. I failed to mention the whole low maintenance thing, although I did talk about how fine it is. I also mentioned that I'd been thinking about bangs for a long time. She got all excited when I said I wanted something new. And then she started cutting. And cutting. And cutting. It was the longest haircut I've ever had. In my mind I kept thinking, "Wow, this is taking way longer than usual. It's like she cares about the outcome. Gee, that's kind of nice."
When she was done cutting she asked if it was okay if she styled it. I agreed and she pulled out the "product". It was a root booster or something. Then she blew it dry using a round brush. While I'm not particularly adept at using them, I understand what that process is meant to achieve. But then she did something completely foreign to me.
She pulled out the flat-iron.
I have really straight hair. (Except for these two chunks right at the nape of my neck that curl into ringlets, but who's going to look there?)(That reminds me of when I was younger and we'd be getting ready to go out somewhere and my Mom would say, "Margot, just grab any socks you can find. It doesn't matter which ones, no one looks at your socks." This isn't true because I ALWAYS look at other people's socks. Just in case you were wondering.) Anyway, I never thought that I needed a flat-iron. Then the girl started using it on my hair. And when she finished it looked good. Really good. Even the bangs.
I tried to recreate the look on Sunday for church without the flat-iron. When I left for church it was okay. When I got home four hours later (Peter and I stayed for choir) it was, um, less than flattering. The biggest offender? The bangs. I think they can look good. I'm just not enough of a girly-girl to figure it out. Maybe I should go buy a flat-iron and experiment. And some of that 'product' stuff.
Any hair hints would be greatly appreciated.
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Get yourself some Tigi Catwalk Root Boost (pic here so you know what you're looking for: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/2148SHRTYBL._SL500_AA280_.jpg)
I always find it in the grocery store, so it doesn't require a special trip to a salon and it's affordable. And it makes a huge difference for me. You might benefit from a smidge of volumizing mousse as well (I do!). But I don't know how really fine hair reacts to product.
AND! This is a new trick taught to me by the girl who recently gave me the best haircut I have ever had and it has made all the difference in the world for me:
When you blow dry your hair flip your head upside down and brush it every crazy direction you can think of while blow drying. Brush it left for a few strokes, brush it right for a few strokes, brush it forward. Repeat. I can't tell if your bangs are sideswept or not since they're pinned back in the pic, but if they are, part them and then do the same thing. Brush left, brush right. Don't worry if you catch other hair, just keep brushing it all around and then part again when it's all dry. For some reason it just turns out a whole heck of a lot better and, according to my amazing fabulous miraculous stylist, mimics the effect of blow drying with a round brush.
Your arms will be tired. But my hair! Looks so much better!
My hair texture is completely different from yours, but when I have bangs I do exactly as mentioned above - blowdry them brushing to the left, then right, then left, etc. They end up looking natural that way. Also, your stylist sounds invested in your cut, so she probably wouldn't mind if you ever call and ask for guidance from her. :)
I'm right there with you! My idea of fancy is anything other than a ponytail. That includes wearing it down because I have the same fine thin hair problem...If you find something that works let me know!!!
Post a Comment