We decided to go ahead and plant a garden this year. I was so excited about it that the day we chose to do it I sat down and mapped out what we would plant and where everything would go. It was even color-coded.
Two weeks ago (which was a week later than last year) we planted all the seeds. Peter and Cooper helped by digging holes and flinging dirt. My brother-in-law was nice enough to help me get all the potatoes, carrots, and marigolds in the ground. I knew it was too early to plant tomatoes, so I waited on those. I was so proud that we had done so much in one day.
We went out the following day and laid the drip lines. I figured that the next thing we needed to do was wait.
And then it snowed.
Multiple times.
I told myself that although plants would have died, the seeds were probably fine. We went out to check on Monday, the fourteen-day mark, to see if we had anything poking through the ground, as the seed packets all assured should happen. Nothing. No peas, no carrots, no edamame. I think we may have had a few weeds growing, but nothing that I wanted to cultivate.
Now I'm thinking that the freeze may have killed everything. And that makes me sad.
Here's my dilemma: how long do I wait to see if anything survived? And if nothing comes up, should I just plant everything again? Or should I try to dig up all the frozen seeds first?
Any help from the gardening gurus out there would be much appreciated.
Friday, May 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Unless you're talking tropical plants, the seeds will not have frozen. In fact, I store my leftover seeds IN the freezer in between growing seasons in order to extend their shelf life.
What you probably are lacking is water.
Best of luck!
I don't know the answer, but I wanted to tell you that I do find the title of this post incredibly clever.
We had the same thing happen! I'm not sure what the answer is either. Maybe wait as long as you can but replant (if nothing comes up) early enough so your plants will reach maturity before it gets cold again in the fall. Good luck!
This has happened to us the past couple of years(late snows etc), and they end up coming up and doing just fine. Just wait it out a while longer.
I was wondering what was up with your garden when I saw it the other day. We put ours in on Sat. and now I'm terrified to go and see what happened to my plants after the snow this morning. I wish you little garden the best of luck!
Post a Comment