Thursday, July 24, 2014

End of the Oregon Trail

On Monday we drove Peter down to his first day of cub scout camp (they were short one seat and I offered to fill the need). With the drive there and back and then down and back to pick him up, we were looking at three hours in the car. Instead, I Googled some fun stuff to do in the area and we made a day of it.

Cooper, Phoebe, Sophie, and I played at a nice park for a while, then went on a little nature walk. No one ran off and it was a very pleasant experience.

The big cool thing we did that day was visit the End of the Oregon Trail. The museum looks like three covered wagons, sans covers. We didn't actually go inside the museum though. The visitors center was free and had two things we really needed: a bathroom and a drinking fountain.


It also had a little corner with pioneer costumes for the kids to wear and pioneer games to play. Phoebe was in heaven and kept announcing that she was now a pioneer. We had a great time. I know I would have enjoyed the museum, and the kids probably would have too, but by this point in the day we were all hungry and tired, so we opted to finish walking the grounds and called it good. They each picked out a stick of candy "like the pioneers would eat," according to Cooper, and headed outside.


We walked over to a lovely garden and discovered a coblestone path and the stone marker announcing the end of the Oregon Trail. I wonder why that particular point is the end. Did someone announce, "I'm tired, and this place looks as good as any" and refuse to continue?

I told Cooper and Phoebe to stand by the plaque so I could take their picture. Phoebe turned to Cooper and said, "We're pioneers now, huh Cooper? It changed our lives forever." Then, after a moment of reflection, "Actually, no it didn't."


Once we were back in the car we talked a little more about pioneers. Phoebe told us, "Pioneers were good people. They didn't hit or kick or punch. Pioneers obeyed God." Indeed.

Happy Pioneer Day!

1 comment:

Brett M said...

"Actually, no it didn't." Hahahahahaha I love it!

And I echo your sentiments. Why did the trail end there? I bet the people in the museum could tell you ;-)